Friday, November 4, 2011

Uncanny X-Men #1 BoomX Review!

Welcome to the BoomX review of Uncanny X-Men #1 (2011) after the X-Men story Schism, the X-Titles have gone through a total re-haul. The team has split between Cyclops and Wolverine, Wolverine heading back to Westchester to reopen the school. Now named the Jean Grey institute of higher learning, his adventures can be followed in Wolverine and The X-Men. The first issue of said title went on sale last month and a review of that can be found here on the BOOM page, the review was done by Scott Summers himself (a blend of fan fiction and review) so to give equal time to both sides today's review of Uncanny X-Men #1 will be done by the headmaster of the Jean Grey Institute James Howlett, aka Wolverine.
I aint much for writing, but I'll give this a shot, heck whenever we got paperwork to do for the Avengers I make that nerd Spider-Man fill it out.  So Slim and I have parted ways in the most mature and positive way possible that we know. I stabbed him through the hand, he blasted my face off my skull. I'll give the man props, I've thrown down with the best and for being a guy who's only power is to shoot beams out of his eyes he held his own for a bit. I still won. 

So in this telling of their story over there on Utopia we see Cyke being Cyke, Mr. Serious and treating his group over there as though they're a military faction and not a group of people living together. He even goes as far as to call his main group his Extinction team. It consists of Magneto, Namor, Emma Frost, Colossus with his new Juggernaut abilities, Danger, Storm, and two kids Hope and Magik.

Now I know neither of those two kids had a normal childhood growing up, Hope being raised by Cable had to be rough enough, while Magik, Colossus's sister was practically raised in Hell by demons. Still don't mean they need to be living their whole life creating new demons.

So we see Scott's new powerhouse team and the first thing they get hit with is Mr. Sinister taking over the body of the giant Dreaming Celestial that's been hanging around San Fran. I knew that thing would be trouble. Of all the guys to have to go against out of the gate. Sinister's been messing with Cyclops since he's been a kid I'm sure he was happy to be blasting at him with the mood he's been after our whole thing. 

Colossus ended up tapping into his Juggernaut power, this can't be good for Pete, that innocent soul of his shouldn't be playing with such fire, I'm going to have to find a way to get that gem outta him sooner or later. Namor did what he did best, flapped around his girly wings and punched something hard, while Magneto flexed his massive power and worked it like the artist he is. Him and I have had some serious tussles in the past but I gotta say the way he uses his powers is like no other mutant or super hero I know, he's power with grace combined with horror and compassion. I guess you could say he's the best there is at what he does. 

The whole thing went down so fast that the fight seemed to be over as soon as it began, I'm not sure if its because the X team is so good or because Sinister wasn't really looking for a fight, he just might have wanted to prove a point. That guy is crazy smart evil, and that's the worst kind. Speaking of crazy, what happened to Emma is nuts, I won't spoil anything here if you haven't read it or seen it yet, but damn, I might need to send Hank over there to help her out since he's taken care of that sort of thing before.

The art of the story was rendered by Carlos Pacheco, I met him up in Toronto at a convention, good guy, amazingly realistic art work combined with fantastic story telling, no real fantasy or exaggeration to it like I got on my book, its great in a whole different way. Kieron Gillen told the tale as the writer of this beginning and he really had a great grasp of the characters and watching this team that consists of 80% former super villains is going to be interesting, I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before we find ourselves butting heads again. 

Not sure next time I'll be so nice after he blows my face off, he'll be lucky his hand is the only appendage I put my claws through. Course I don't wanna be on Frost's bad side, so I'll think about fighting fair, but no promises.