Friday, July 8, 2011

Countdown to Potter

There are only 6 days until the final movie in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows will be released at midnight on Thursday July 14th. My house is a huge fan of the books and films, my eldest daughter has had Harry Potter parties where we prepared a Potter food, drinks, and watched all of the movies back to back, did I mention she's 20. 

An entire generation has grown up with Harry Potter in the same way my generation had grown up with Star Wars. Harry is their Luke, Ron their Han and Hermione their Leia; I suppose that makes Neville Chewbacca? Any way, the one thing I have been thinking about with "the end" approaching next week that at one point we thought Star Wars had ended as well. Jedi came and went and the Ewoks helped destroy the empire and almost the trilogy but we still loved it, and we were sad it was all over. But then it wasn't, it was back.

Digitally remastered films with new scenes came first, then three more films, albeit with a horribly whiny Anakin Skywalker, but we got three more films. We got a cartoon series, we got animated films, books, comics, more toys, Christmas specials, theme parks, movies based on the movie, it still goes on today. Star Wars ended, but it never really did. Was it because of the fans love, was it because there was more to be told, or maybe it was because the movies alone made over 4 Billion dollars and George Lucas needed some more pocket cash, it doesn't really matter.

What I'm thinking, after this "End" is that there will be more. In fact Rowling has even announced already that there will be more, Pottermore the website ( www.pottermore.com ) shows that the author has more in store and more to tell. Will we see a Harry Potter animated series? A series of prequel movies starring Harry's parents, Dumbledore, and Snape? More video games, fan fictions, a "Fanboys" style film telling the tale of three kids making their way to England to see if they can find the real Hogwarts?  The possibilities are endless. I myself would like to write a story about three other kids that go to Hogwarts, two boys and a girl who just so happened to leave the areas where Harry, Hermione and Ron walk into and have adventures. 

I've decided that with this coming week I'll try and do a daily posting on The BOOM page in regards to Potter and the fun weirdness that me and my family do when it comes to things like this. Have I mention we all have our own wands from Hogwarts in Universal Studios and plan on going back soon?

I've added a countdown clock to the movie on my page, you can get it by going here:


There were some other widgets out there for the countdown, but I found this one to be the best. So until next posting... "Stupify!" (my favorite spell/disturbed song)