It's National Geek Pride Day, so all of my brothers and sisters who walk this once lonely road hold your heads high, as our geekiness has been embraced by the world and we have survived the bullies of yesteryear to come out shining on top.
What would summer's be without our geeky movie goodness. Thor two weeks ago and the upcoming Green Lantern X-Men First Class and Captain America are making for some great comic book blockbusters. Tomorrow The Hangover Part 2 comes out, and just look at that cast, Ed Helms - Geek, Zack Galifianakis - Geek, Ken Jeong - Geek and of course Bradley Cooper - the guy all geeks want to be. (I mean come on, who doesn't want to be Bradley Cooper?)
There are rules to following Geek Pride Day, the history of it and how it came to be can be found on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd_Pride_Day (Wikipedia a pure Geek invention by the way)
Here are the rights and responsibilities:
Other great geekiness born on this day:
- The right to be even geekier.
- The right to not leave your house.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other nerds.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
- The right to be out of style.
- The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
- The right to show off your geekiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a geek, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
- To save and protect all geeky material.
- Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a "museum of geekiness."
- Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
- Try to take over the world
On top of all that today is Cookie Monster's Birthday, how do we know when Cookie Monster was born you ask? Well because its actually Frank Oz's birthday today, he turns 67. The man who has given us Cookie Monster, Grover and Bert Miss Piggy and of course Grand Master Jedi Yoda is an icon amongst geeks so its only fitting his birthday fall on this geeky day.
Sir Ian McKellen aka Gandalf and Magneto can you get more geek love than that?
Mike Myers aka Austin Powers and Shrek or the great Canadian geek
and of course Connie Sellecca, no she's not a geek, we all just loved her because she was Ralph's girlfriend on The Greatest American Hero.
HAPPY GEEK PRIDE DAY!
Hey be sure to be part of our 10 Day X-Men Challenge brought to you by The BOOM Page.