Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why I hate the Gotye song Somebody I Used to Know.

This song is constantly on the radio and its not just the annoying sound of that horrible whatever instrument it is, that sounds like a carnival merry go round that plays at the beginning. Its not just his horrible voice that sounds like some mediocre karaoke hack. No, what I can't stand is the lyrics and the meaning behind the song.


Somebody he used to know, someone he broke up with and now he's upset that she treats him as a stranger. Wow, and now we have all these people are out there, playing it loudly and singing along and rehashing every bad breakup they've had.


Sounds like a great thing to do.


Lets look at those lyrics



Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember


So he thinks of an ex love..okay not so bad
But then he wants to throw in her face something he said when they were happy together
He had to convince himself that she was right for him?
But clearly he wasn't happy, he was lonely with her
That was love? What an idiot. How can you recognize something was bad but call it good.
That's like saying I recognize that's a pile of crap but I think I'll call it a sandwich. 

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad it was over

The first line, I get, okay I've been there
Second line, don't get
Then they come to an understanding they aren't good together
a mutual breakup, okay, good thing
She uses the classic line
He was glad it was over, okay good..moving on, closure, all that

And then we get the whiny chorus:


But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and I feel so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know


You didn't have to cut me off? From What?! 
He was glad it was over but wanted to hangout still? Moron.
Make like it never happened and that you were nothing? I thought you were glad it was over?
Sure you don't need her love,
Treat you like a stranger? Because after you break up with you ex you want to walk by and say "Oh Hey, whats up? Can I borrow $5.00"
She changed her number and sent he friends for her stuff, sounds like your the crazy stalker type and now we know why she broke up with you.
You guess you don't need that? 
Yes, you are just someone she used to know, ITS OVER CRAZY PERSON.

This goes on for the rest of the song, its terrible, I hate it, I hate the idea of it being played over and over, and I really hate anyone singing along with it because I don't think anyone understands you DON'T want to be the guy in this song!